Gopher State Officials Association
Since 1965, serving members of the Minnesota State High School League by providing high school officials in baseball, basketball, football, and softball and educating officials who are members of the association.
Gopher Officials Most Recent News
Click here to read important updates from Gopher
last updated March 12, 2023 and includes information about the baseball/softball season, the officials who will be working the girls and boys state basketball tournaments, and Rick DeGardner receiving the MSHSL Distinguished Service Award on March 25, 2023.
March 12, 2023
1. The baseball and softball seasons are rapidly approaching! Geno is still inputting the games into Arbiter. Then schools need to verify all game information, so it will likely be a few more weeks before umpires start getting assigned games. In the meantime, make sure to block off any dates on Arbiter that you do not want to be assigned a game.
2. Our umpire numbers are extremely low. Please check with your fellow umpires to make sure they have sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify Geno and I that they are returning. If anyone did not receive this email, that means they are not properly set up in Arbiter. Gopher State Officials is part of MN Officials 112731 on Arbiter.
3. Consider recruiting 1-2 new umpires...... Here's a message I have been sending out....It's not too late to umpire baseball and/or softball this Spring for Gopher State Officials!! All the information you need can be found at www.gopherstateofficials.org. There is an Informational letter under the Baseball/Softball tab. Or you can contact Tim Litfin at 612-910-6200 for baseball related questions or Scott Schimetz at 612-636-7268 for softball. Game fees for all levels (9th, B, JV, Varsity) for softball is $75 and baseball is $83.
4. Pay your dues by April 1st to avoid late fees! More information can be found at www.gopherstateofficials.org.
5. MARK YOUR CALENDARS! The annual Gopher State Baseball/Softball meeting will be held at the Brooklyn Park Activity Center (5600 85th Ave N, 55443) on Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 5:30pm.
DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD - Rick DeGardner has been selected to receive a Minnesota State High School League Distinguished Service Award for exceptional service to the Gopher State Officials Association. This award honors individuals who have gone above and beyond in service to their Association. The presentation of this award will take place on Saturday, March 25, 2023, as part of the State Boys Basketball Tournament. The Award will be presented at a special halftime program during the Class A Championship Game, which starts at 11:00 a.m. This presentation will be part of the TV production that can be seen on Channel 45.
Congratulations to Rick and thank you for your service to Gopher State and the schools we serve!!
March 6, 2023
It's not to late to umpire baseball and/or softball this Spring for Gopher State Officials!! All the information you need can be found at www.gopherstateofficials.org. There is an Informational letter under the Baseball/Softball tab. Or you can contact Tim Litfin at 612-910-6200 for baseball related questions or Scott Schimetz at 612-636-7268 for softball.
If you umpired baseball and/or softball for Gopher State Officials last year, simply send an email to email@example.com indicating you are returning this year. Please specify which sport(s). We will then get you set up in Arbiter.
Feel free to contact Rick DeGardner at 651-252-8197.
Gopher State has extended the sign up for baseball or softball to April 1 without paying a late fee. Sign up and get some games!
A tribute page for Gopher's longtime leader Bozo Wincek has been added to the site. It is available here, or under the "About" tab up above.
Bozo Wincek Named 2023 Minnesota State High School Baseball Coaches Association Angelo Giuliani Award Winner
Bozo Wincek was posthumously honored by the MN State HS Baseball Coaches Association, as the 2023 winner of the Angelo Giuliani award. This is a lifetime achievement award given out by the MSHSBCA. The award was presented on Saturday, January 14, 2023 at Target Field to Karen Wincek as part of the MSHSBCA Hall of Fame event. Also, present at the event representing the Bozo Wincek family were, from left to right in the photo, granddaughter (Michelle) Nicole, daughter Jacki Wincek, Karen Wincek, and daughter Michelle Wincek. Mike Madden, Greg Swan and Tim Litfin also attended the banquet as representatives of Gopher State Officials Association helping to honor Bozo, Karen and family. For more information about the event go to https://www.mshsbca.org/photo_gallery/show/3921018#15
Gopher State Officials in Action
Last updated March 12, 2023
WE NEED YOU! Heed the call - become an official
Interested in Becoming an Official?
Fill out the Membership Application Form below and
someone from Gopher State will be in touch with you soon!